This exercise works the triceps and is traditionally performed with a straight bar. I like using dumbbells instead, so that each arm gets an opportunity to work independently of the other.
- Lie on a bench or a physio ball as if you were preparing to do a bench press.
- Hold weights up over your chest, palms facing each other.
- Move the weights CLOSER to your face by angling the arms slightly, but do not allow the shoulders to rise up near the ears.
- Lower the dumbbells towards your face by bending the elbows only, but allowing them to lower on either side of your face so that they finish near your ears.
- Exhale and press the dumbbells back upwards without moving the shoulders whatsoever.