- Lie on a bench with your feet on the floor and lower back pressed into the bench. You may need to hold the dumbbells at your hips as you lower onto the bench.
- Lift the dumbbells up over your chest, not over your shoulders or head, and hold the dumbbells steady before you attempt the exercise.
- Thumbs are in, palms face away.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells until they are directly over your shoulders, not outside of the shoulders, nor lower than the shoulders. If you’ve had a shoulder injury, read the tip!
- Exhale keeping abdominals tight, and press the dumbbells back up over your chest and slightly together in an “arc”.
Tip: If you have a history of shoulder injuries, you may want to make sure that the elbows do not drop much lower than the shoulders in step 4.
Variation: Once you’ve mastered this, go on to the more challenging Incline Dumbbell Bench Press.