- Stand with your feet hip width apart, chest up and abdominals engaged.
- Step forward with your right leg, toes pointed straight ahead, about 2/3 of body length, striking the heel first, rolling to the toe.
- As you lunge forward, right knee will bend to 90 degrees, and right knee will stay over right foot. Left leg remains straight and left heel is up throughout lunge, toes pointed straight ahead.
- After you have absorbed foot strike, push back to start position and repeat with left leg.
Tip: Make sure that your spine remains straight and that you do not bend over towards the leading leg, as this can put too much weight into the front knee.
Variations: Once this becomes easy, increase intensity by:
- Holding dumbbells at your side or a barbell on your upper back.
- Traveling with the lunge; where each lunge is a step forward alternating legs as you lunge forward.