This exercise is excellent for working the glutes in a standing balance position.
- Position the cable pulley so that it is at the bottom of cable machine.
- Attach the ankle cuff to your ankle and lean forward slightly facing the stack, holding on to rail for stability.
- Keep abs tight and chest up as you bend slightly forward from hips.
- Supporting leg remains strong with knee slightly bent.
- Exhale as you lift entire leg behind you only as high as you can without arching back or letting the spine move too much.
- Lower slowly to start position and repeat.
- Switch legs and repeat 1- 6.
Variation: A variation of this exercise can be performed with elastic tubing secured at the bottom of a door or to a low bench, and tied around the ankle securely.