A heavier dumbbell should be used for this exercise.
- Kneel onto bench with one knee on bench, one foot on floor.
- If left knee is on bench, place left hand on bench so that you are fully supported with your back completely straight.
- Hold dumbbell in right hand, palm in, arm extended straight down towards floor.
- Using upper and mid back muscles, pull dumbbell up under armpit, keeping elbow close to ribcage, like you are “starting a lawnmower”.
- Biceps will assist this exercise, but try and squeeze shoulder blades at top of exercise, pausing slightly, and lowering slowly.
Variations: This exercise can also be performed with a physio ball and/or with the elbow out to the side of the body as you “row” rather than the elbow staying close to the body, but a lighter weight should be used.