This exercise works the muscles of the outer hips and the glutes. These muscles often become weak and underused if you spend a lot of time sitting for work or at home.
- Place a thick elastic band around the ankles, just above the ankle bones.
- Stand with feet hip width apart so that tension is on the elastic even prior to beginning the movement.
- Keeping chest up, abs tight, step to the side with knees slightly bent.
- Next, step together, but do not bring the legs together all the way as tension needs to stay on the elastic at all times.
- Step sideways one direction for 10-15 reps, and then return in the other direction for the same.
- Keep toes pointed straight ahead as you perform this exercise and try not to rock your body to create momentum. Do not drag the foot of the following leg.