This exercise works the entire spine as well as the upper back muscles and glutes.
- Lie on your stomach face down with legs straight behind you and arms straight in front of you as if your were “superman” flying.
- Keep your neck in neutral alignment, resting your nose on the floor, or turning your head sideways to rest.
- Carefully lift the right arm and left leg off the floor simultaneously as you lift your chest and shoulders slightly off the floor.
- Make sure that the front of your left hip remains on the floor as you lift the leg so as not to strain the low back.
- You will find that you cannot lift very high in this exercise, so do not force the range of motion or try and “throw” the arm or leg up.
- Slowly return the leg and arm to the floor and repeat with the left arm and right leg.
If you have rounded shoulders or tight chest muscles, it will be difficult to raise the arm, so have patience.