A push-up is a demanding exercise that requires excellent core strength. If you have any shoulder or neck problems you may want to start with a “bent knee” push-up variation, where the knees remain on the floor during the push-up. For the straight leg variation:
- Kneel on floor, hands slightly wider than shoulders, fingers face forward.
- Straighten legs behind you, back straight, abdominals very tight.
- Keep your head in neutral alignment and your upper back as flat as possible.
- Slowly lower chest towards floor without arching back or dropping head.
- Exhale as you press your body back up to start position.