- Lie on the floor on your back with arms at your side, palms down, and knees bent.
- Lift legs up over hips so that knees are over navel, slightly bent. Legs are together, but, not crossed.
- As you exhale, slowly “curl” hips and navel towards chest using the lower portion of your abdominal muscles.
- Return hips to floor and repeat until you feel fatigue in the muscles of the belly.
- Use your arms to push into the floor to assist with the curl.
- If your back feels strain, limit the exercise to only a few reps and stretch your hamstrings and low back, as inflexibility of these muscles can make your back uncomfortable initially.
- Step 2: If this is difficult to start, cross your legs to gain more control. As the exercise becomes easier, do the exercise as described above.
- Increase your challenge: Reverse Curl with crunch
- Reverse curl can also be performed while simultaneously lifting upper body as in a crunch. Make sure that you do not pull excessively on the neck itself, and remember to exhale as your lift your hips and shoulders upwards.