This is a variation of a forward lunge, where the movement is backward instead of forward.
- As in forward lunge, stand with feet hip width apart, chest up and spine straight.
- Step back with your right foot, lowering knee slightly towards floor and keeping heel up.
- Maintain erect posture as you lunge backward, as it is very important not to lean forward and risk back injury.
- Left knee should be at 90 degrees at mid point of exercise.
- Once you have absorbed foot strike, step right leg back together with left leg, and repeat with left leg.