This exercise is superb to challenge the quadriceps and the knee joint and activate the gluteals and hamstrings, especially for athletes participating in stop-and-go sports.
Although it is an advanced exercise, it is perfect for general strength training as well.
- It is best to perform this on an even, flat surface to begin with, as this takes excellent balance to perfect.
- Stand on both legs, drawing core in and keeping good posture.
- Lift one leg off the floor, keeping it close, but not touching, to the other leg.
- Using arms for balance, either at the front of the body, or to the side, lower down into a squat, pressing the buttocks back and keeping the chest up as in a traditional squat.
- Do not try to lower too far when first attempting this exercise, just find your balance and work on form.
- Repeat with other leg.
- No weights are used with this exercise unless recommended by your trainer.
Variation: Vector Reach with Single Leg Squat