- Stand with feet hip width apart, chest up and abdominals engaged.
- Step forward with right leg about 2/3 of body length, and lift heel up of left leg so that you are on the ball of your foot of the left leg.
- Find your balance, adjusting lateral width of stance so that your feet are “on a train track” and toes are pointed straight ahead.
- Keeping spine straight, lower slowly towards floor as you bend both knees. You do not need to touch floor with the back knee. Push up through heel of right foot, rather than toe, and repeat.
- Switch legs to perform lunge with left leg forward.
Variation: This exercise can be done with dumbbells or a barbell once this becomes easy.