- Sit on the floor with knees bent in front of you and feet flat on floor.
- Lean back onto arms which are behind your back, fingers pointed towards spine.
- Lift chest up and press shoulders back and down (try not to slouch) while keeping low spine straight.
- Lift legs off floor and straighten knee in a “pike” position.
- Keep your chest up as you hold this position for 10 seconds or more.
Variation: As you become stronger, you can move your arms to reach out towards toes so that you are balancing on your “tailbone” in a pike position. Once you can balance in that position, challenge your core by slowly moving your arms and legs in opposite directions to work your lateral abdominals.
Another variation is the Russian Twist with Medicine Ball